Preparing your home for new window treatments can be an exciting process, but there is one final question before they enter your home. Do you want them inside or outside mounted? We want to ensure that upgrading your home’s windows is fun and easy, so we are going to walk you through what the difference is and how to properly measure your windows for both.
Now, let’s get right to the good stuff. What is the difference between inside and outside mounting, and which one will be more beneficial to your home? Let’s take a closer look.
Inside mount is when your window treatments are going to be placed on the inside of your window frames/ trim. This is the more common way of installing your window treatments, as it leaves room for possibility and is more flexible to different types of windows. Let’s say you have a great windowsill, or the trim framing out your windows is something to admire, then inside mount is the right one for you.
It’s also important to keep in mind that if you have drapes or curtains already installed or plan on having both blinds and drapery, inside mounting is the way to go.
Outside mount is exactly what you’d think! This is when your window treatments are going to be placed on the outside of your window frames/trim. If you are looking to make your windows look larger than they are, create a more streamlined look across a number of windows in your home, or you would like to prevent more light from leaking in, outside mounts are perfect. Outside mounts are also a great way to cover trim that you might not be fond of, so it is a great way to take care of two home projects for the price of one!
Now that you know the difference between inside and outside mounting, and you are ready to get new window treatments into your home, it’s time to measure. Our team has created a step-by-step guide and a video to walk you through how to measure for each mounting type.
- Begin by measuring the depth from your windowpane, to the outside of the trim
- Ensure you have no obstructions in your window that could affect your measurements
- Measure the inside of your window from side to side at the top, in the middle and at the bottom, and record the smallest It is important to note the smallest of all three measurements, as this will be important when your custom window treatments are being designed
- Now, measure the height from the inside of the trim at the top, to the inside of the trim at the bottom on the left, centre and right side of your window. Record the largest measurement of the three
- Measure the top, centre and bottom of your window from the outside of the trim on each side, and record the measurements
- Measure the left, centre and right of your window from the outside of the trim on the top and the bottom, and record the measurements
- Add 2 inches to the width of your width measurements, and up to 3 inches to your height measurements. This is to ensure your new treatments are designed to your liking as they will hang on the outside of your trim
Now that you have the perfect mount for your window coverings in mind, and you’ve mastered measuring for both, you’re all set! Whether you are upgrading or new to window treatments, taking the time to decide what is best for your home and measuring carefully are both very important steps in the process. Our team at Sun Shades Window Fashions is always here to help, and would love to help you create the window treatments of your dreams. Reach out to our team here, and we can start the journey!
For the full video on How to Measure for Inside and Outside Mounting, click the image below.